Open Access and Open Science principles are an essential part of knowledge creation and sharing. They directly support the researchers need for greater impact, optimum dissemination of research, while also enabling the engagement of citizen scientists and society at large on societal challenges.
This two year project aims to set in place sustainable mechanisms for EU researchers to FOSTER OPEN SCIENCE in their daily workflow, thus supporting researchers optimizing their research visibility and impact, the adoption of EU open access policies in line with the EU objectives on Responsible Research & Innovation.
- Support different stakeholders, especially young researchers, in adopting open access in the context of the European Research Area (ERA) and in complying with the open access policies and rules of participation set out for Horizon 2020;
- Integrate open access principles and practice in the current research workflow by targeting the young researcher training environment;
- Strengthen the institutional training capacity to foster compliance with the open access policies of the ERA and Horizon 2020 (beyond the FOSTER project);
The objectives will be pursued through the combination of 3 main activities;
1 – Identifying already existing contents that can be reused in the context of the training activities and repackaging, reformatting them to be used within FOSTER, and develop/create/ enhance contents if/where they are needed.
2 – Creation of the FOSTER Portal to support e-learning, blended learning, self-learning, dissemination of training materials/contents and Helpdesk.
3 – Delivery of face-to-face training, especially training trainers/multipliers that can carry on further training and dissemination activities, within their institutions, countries or disciplinary communities.
Beyond consortium partners, 27 other organizations/institutions (Institutions, Graduate Schools, Associations from students and young researchers, etc.), from 13 countries, already committed to collaborate with and support FOSTER.
FOSTER strategy relies on wide community involvement and will actively seek it, both for training content and for training courses.
FOSTER will support community training actions via two annual open calls for events which adhere to the project objectives:
- The first call will be issued in January 2014, for events occurring from June to December 2014
- The second call will be issued in October 2014, for events occurring in 2015
How to participate?
- Provide/suggest content for FOSTER training
- Host/organize a FOSTER training action at your institution/event
- Attend FOSTER courses on open access and open data
Project Name: FACILITATE OPEN SCIENCE TRAINING FOR EUROPEAN RESEARCH
Project Acronym: FOSTER
Project number: 612425
Start Date: 01/02/2014
Duration: 24 months
Funding from the EC: 1.499.860,00€
Eloy Rodrigues – University of Minho